Steve Jarvis

Liberal Democrat County Councillor for Royston West & Rural and District Councillor for Weston & Sandon. Learn more

Privacy Notice

I am an elected Member of North Hertfordshire District Council, representing the residents of Weston and Sandon Ward and of Hertfordshire County Council, representing Royston West and Rural Division.  As part of my work in the community, I contact officers of the Council and other organisations on your behalf to investigate your concerns and respond to your enquiries.

Contact information

Because I decide how the personal data you supply to me is processed, I am referred to as a Data Controller and must register as such with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

I am registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office.

My contact details are:


Address: 26, High Street, Graveley, Hitchin, Herts SG4 7LA

Telephone: 01438 727122

What is personal data and why do I need to collect it?

Personal data is any data from which you can identify a living person. This could consist of names, addresses, dates of birth, National Insurance Numbers, bank account details etc. It can also include social media handles and other artificial identifiers such as IP Addresses if you can be identified from them. There are other data known as “Special Categories of Personal Data”, which includes information relating to certain characteristics such as racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, Trades Union membership, physical or mental health, sexual orientation or commission or alleged commission of any crime. These are also subject to the same rules as personal data.

When I do constituency work for you, I might collect the following information to help you:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact Phone Number
  • Email address

In some cases, depending on the nature of your enquiry or the specific organisation concerned, I might need more information such as:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Your date of birth
  • Signature
  • Information about your health needs
  • Details of family members
  • Information relating to your financial circumstances

 In some rare cases, I might handle special category data such as medical information.

 How do I collect your personal data?

I might collect information from you in a number of ways, for example:

  • when we meet in the community or at my surgeries
  • when you telephone me or email me
  • when you send me letters

How do we process your personal data?

I will process your personal data to achieve the following:

  • To investigate and respond to your request for advice, guidance or information
  • To investigate and respond to an enquiry or a complaint you have contacted me about

I will do this by contacting relevant Council Officers and/or Officers of other organisations relevant to your enquiry.

If you wish me to stop making enquiries on your behalf and you withdraw your consent for me to process your personal data, you can do so by contacting me using the contact details above

Sharing your personal data

To enable me to deal with your enquiry, I may have to share your information with Council Officers or other organisations such as the DWP, the NHS, or other bodies, such as schools and charities.

Where possible, I will let you know when I have shared the information.

In other cases, it might not be possible to tell you that the information was shared because of public interest issues such as an investigation or a police matter.

All data shared electronically will be passed on by secure, encrypted means.

I will not use your personal data for marketing purposes without your consent.

How will I store your personal data and for how long will I keep it?

I will keep your information securely. In addition to the security provided by Council devices, I will safeguard access to any information you provide me by keeping it in a secure place.

As part of my work keeping track of your case, I will have to hold onto your information. Usually, this will be for one year after the conclusion of your enquiry in case there should be any further developments, but it will vary depending on the type of enquiry.

Any information I hold at the end of my term in office is either passed to the appropriate council representative or securely destroyed.

Your rights

The Data Protection Act 2018 provides certain rights to data subjects (those on whom I hold personal data). If you wish to exercise any of these rights, you should contact me, contact details above. These rights can be summarised as:

Right of access

The law allows you the right to access to personal data, which we hold about you. This is known as a Subject Access Request and I will provide you with this information as soon as possible and in any case within four weeks, unless the application is so complicated that additional time is required, in which case, I will notify you accordingly.

Right to rectification

If any personal data which I hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to have this corrected. I must also ensure that any corrections are notified to any third parties with whom the data has been shared.

 Right to erasure

You have the right to have your personal data erased if any of the following apply:

  • There is no compelling reason to retain the data
  • The data is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected
  • You withdraw your consent
  • You object to processing the data and there is no overriding reason to continue
  • The data have been unlawfully processed

If you exercise this right, it may not be possible to deal with your enquiry.

Right to restrict processing

You have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data, where any of the following apply:

  • You have contested the accuracy of the data I hold, until that has been resolved
  • The processing is unlawful and you require restriction of processing rather than erasure
  • I no longer need the data for the purpose it was collected and you require the data in connection with a legal claim
  • You have objected to the processing of your personal data pending confirmation of whether there are grounds to override these objections

The right to object

This is the right, in certain circumstances, to object to the processing of personal data. This only applies where processing is based on legitimate interests, the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority, direct marketing and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics. It does not apply to processing carried out by me in the performance of my task in dealing with your enquiry..

Right to data portability

You have the right to receive electronically held personal data that I hold about you in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and have the right to provide this to another Data Controller.

Rights related to automated decision making including profiling

I not carry out any automated processing, which may lead to an automated decision based on your personal data.


This Privacy Notice will be regularly reviewed to ensure we meet the necessary standards for obtaining, processing, storing and managing personal data. I reserve the right to update this Privacy Notice.


If you have a complaint regarding the use of your personal data, this should be addressed to me, contact details above.

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number